Plans for Beslan
(RIA Novosti, by Albina Olisayeva) — The terrorists who seized
a school in Beslan, North Ossetia, on September 1-3 had not intended
to enter into talks with authorities.
This is what
Konstantin Krivorotov, who is heading a team of investigators
at the North Caucasus department of the Russian Prosecutor General’s
Office, said in an interview with the local Severnaya Osetia newspaper.
said the investigators had videotape that showed gang leader Khuchbarov
who said on September 2: "I do not need anyone for negotiations.
No one will leave the school, the building is mines studded and
will blow up immediately. Let them storm the building if they
want. We are ready."
believes this reveals the terrorists’ intentions.
that there were doubts about whether there was enough room for
32 terrorists with weapons and ammunition in one GAZ-66 truck.
investigative experiment showed that it was quite possible to
accommodate them all in one truck, according to Mr. Krivorotov.
He also said
the suggestion that the weapons had been hidden in the school
in advance was not confirmed.
fact that small arms, ammunition, and explosives were brought
to the school by the terrorists themselves was confirmed by witnesses
interrogated in the course of investigation," said Mr. Krivorotov.
found out that the terrorists had not made arms caches in the
school in advance.
victims said caches had been in the school library and gym’s floor
from where the terrorists had taken their weapons and ammunition
in large quantities. However, later they said they only saw terrorists
breaking the floor, but did not see them taking weapon out,"
said Mr. Krivorotov.
be recalled that under article 75 of Russia’s Code of Criminal
Procedure, victims or witnesses’ evidence based on conjecture,
supposition, or rumor and evidence by witnesses who cannot disclose
their information source is qualified as inadequate," said
Related to the Beslan Tragedy:
Interviews of North Ossetian Officials Due to Beslan
Coverage of the Beslan Terror Attack
of North Ossetian Officials
Due to Beslan Tragedy Complete
MOSCOW (RIA Novosti) — The parliamentary commission probing into
last September’s terrorist attack on the town of Beslan in the
North Caucasus republic of North Ossetia have completed interviewing
the regional officials.
to a press release from the public affairs office of the Federation
Council (the upper chamber of the Russian parliament), the commission’s
meeting was addressed by presidential advisor Aslambek Aslakhanov
and a former officer of the North Ossetian division of the Federal
Security Service (FSB).
offered some details of the September 1-3 negotiations with the
terrorists, and the former FSB officer told the meeting about
the situation brewing in Beslan on the eve of the terrorist attack,
offering his grasp of the reasons stoking proliferation of terrorism
in the region.
to the press release, the commission decided to summon Interior
Minister Rashid Nurgaliyev.
request of the Beslan resident activists a decision has been taken
to dispatch a member of the commission to Beslan next week. A
trip to Beslan by the commission’s chairman, Alexander Torshin
is planned as well. Mr. Torshin is tasked to agree on a date for
North Ossetian President Alexander Dzasokhov and Ingush President
Murat Zyazikov to attend a meeting of the commission," the
press release reads.
also discussed the make-up of its report.