State, Israeli & US Public
Yoram Ettinger The Jerusalem Cloakroom
1. ISRAEL’s JEWISH ELECTORATE OPPOSES THE ESTABLISHMENT OF A PALESTINIAN
STATE BY A 61%:31% MARGIN, according to a February 26, 2003 poll,
conducted by the leading Israeli pollster, Geocarthography, and
commissioned by the Ariel Center For Policy Research. The question
posed was: "In light of the track record since the signing
of the Oslo Accords, do you support or oppose the establishment
of a Palestinian State?":
* ISRAEL’s MIDDLE INCOME (7,000-10,000 shekels per month) LEADS
THE OPPOSITION to a Palestinian State (68%), compared with 60% opposition
by the lower income (up to 7,000) and 58% opposition by the higher
income (over 10,000).
* ISRAEL’s MIDDLE AGE (35-54) opposition amounts to 68%, trailed
by 64% of the younger generation (18-34) and 49% of "seasoned"
* TERTIARY EDUCATION GRADUATES (High school+) oppose the establishment
of a Palestinian State by 70%, ahead of elementary school graduates
(63%) and academicians (55%).
* OLIM (NEW IMMIGRANTS) oppose the establishment of a Palestinian
State by 68%, ahead of second generation Israelis (66%), Europe/US-born
Israelis (55.8%) and Asia/Africa-born Israelis (56.4%).
* JERUSALEM and NEGEV Israelis express overwhelming opposition (69%),
compared with Tel Aviv (57%), coastal plane north of Tel Aviv (57%)
and Haifa and the Galilee (54%).
* RELIGIOUS folks reject a Palestinian State by 84%, compared with
64% of traditional Israelis and 47% of the secular electorate.
* MULTI-CHILDREN parents (over 5) object to a Palestinian State
by 67%, compared with 65% by parents of 3-4 children and 49% by
parents of 1-2 children.
* MEN EXCEED WOMEN 64%:58% in their disapproval of a Palestinian
2. MOST AMERICANS OPPOSE FOREIGN AID TO THE PALESTINIANS and DISAPPROVE
OF THE ESTABLISHMENT OF A PALESTINIAN STATE, according to a February
12, 2003 poll conducted by John McLaughlin & Assoc., commissioned
by the ZOA. By a 77%:12% Americans oppose foreign aid to the Palestinian
Authority. 51%:26% believe that a Palestinian State would be another
terrorist, rather than peaceful, state. 61%:19% are convinced that
a Palestinian State would seek Israel’s destruction, rather than
peace. 71%:13% opine that the Palestinian Authority has not fulfilled
conditions required for the establishment of a Palestinian State.
3. "THE USA and ENGLAND ARE THE ENEMIES OF PALESTINIANS AND
MUSLIMS…May Allah eradicate the infidels and afflict them with
earthquakes… Allah shall punish them and shall feed the fish with
their flesh…" (a typical Friday sermon and teachings by Arafat-appointed
preachers at the Temple Mt., attended by 40,000 worshippers, broadcast
live on PLO radio and TV, January 10, 2003).